When I think about teaching overseas it reminds me of the following quote:
A teacher is a compass that activates the magnets of curiosity, knowledge and wisdom in the pupils. ~Ever Garrison
I made the decision to move overseas and teach nearly 20 years ago and I never looked back! I hope my list below is useful in explaining the different ways a teacher can grow both personally and professionally while teaching overseas.
- You can enjoy the benefits of seeing the world through enriching experiences in a diverse education setting
- You have the opportunity and chance to do something unique and adventurous that will change your life forever
- Through teaching abroad, you are able to meet and work with educators from different cultures and learn from one another both in the way of teaching and living!
- Gain first-hand experience by developing and influencing student lives for the better
- Foster your love of lifelong learning through collaborating with other international educators, sharing all the ups and the downs
- Become internationally minded while experiencing the local culture
- Work with a variety of different parent communities, although no matter where you’re from parent teacher interviews are a hectic mess let’s be honest!
- Become a tourist and open your mind to new experiences, meet new people by sharing ideas and create lifelong lasting friendships
- You can build relationships with your students by sharing with them the culture of your home country, especially in the UK where classrooms are so diverse
- It can end up being the best decision you ever make both for yourself and for your teaching
For more in out blog series click here